Cage's Ryoanji

This was an eerie piece. I liked how sparse it was. I think silence can mean as much as sound does. The metallic shaker sound (I'm not sure what it was exactly) sounded a little like a bag of coins being dropped or something. I liked it. I also loved the flutes. Recording one and then playing against it again created a really ethereal sound, but this was less airy than in the Alexander piece. I couldn't decide if it sounded like whale song or wolves howling. I think towards the beginning it sounded more like wolves and later it was whales. Also later I heard something high pitched and a touch whiny like an insect sound, but that might have been the sound of the flutes interacting with each other.

This piece is definitely not settled or harmonic and super easy to listen to, and there's no set meter, but there is a sort of orderly feeling to it, making it significantly easier to listen to than the Alexander piece. I don't think it has the really unsettled feeling of the Alexander, and it doesn't change too much throughout the piece, meaning it doesn't require quite as much attention. It actually is kind of meditative or trance-like.

No comments: